5 Ways to Take Charge of Your Emotions and Overcome them
Did you know? Our emotions can probably last longer than our memory and are often contagious in nature. Emotions are biological signals that make us act, behave, and communicate in a particular way. While the most fundamental and basic emotions are those of anger, disgust, fear, happiness, sadness, and surprise, it can be much more complicated than that.
Have you felt an instant anger and then regretted it moments later, or Do you feel your moods keep changing throughout the day maybe because of external factors or internal transformations?
But, the good part is that every emotion whatsoever, directs us, and enables us to feel, experience, and perceive the world within and around us.
Ask yourself? If you hadn’t felt certain emotions you wouldn’t have realized parts of you that needed healing or you wouldn’t have even become the person you are today. Each one of us has a coping mechanism that drives us to deal with situations in our life based on our emotional intelligence.
To quote Daniel Goleman, an internationally renowned psychologist and author, he said, ‘Emotional Intelligence accounts for 80% of Career Success’.
Most individuals today, primarily face struggles and challenges because they barely give importance to how they feel, project, and introspect their underlying emotions. So, here’s how you can effectively address your emotions and control them.
5 Ways to Take Charge of your emotions & successfully overcome them –
- Identify Your Emotions – Start labelling your emotions. Ask questions to yourself, introspect and find answers that justify your emotions. For instance- Whenever you feel anger or frustration ask yourself is it because of some underlying guilt/embarrassment/insecurities. This will give you some clarity and understanding of how you can handle them better the next time it happens. Feeling intense emotions is not wrong, the way you deal with it is what matters and makes all the difference.
- Write Your Thoughts – When you put your mind to paper, it acts as an outlet to vent without reluctance, and be honest with yourself. Writing your chaotic thoughts or even positive affirmations can significantly uplift your mood and make you view the situation from a better lens. Maintaining a journal is a mighty tool for emotional release.
- Accept Yourself Fully – Oftentimes we self-sabotage and suppress what we’re feeling. Perhaps we don’t even understand ourselves as well as we should. The transformation lies in Self-acceptance and not in self-rejection or denial. Validate your emotions but don’t succumb to it. Take it as an opportunity to become better and more aware. Don’t avoid them but take them as messengers that will help you grow and access your true potential.
- Meditate – Which brings me to this epic technique we all know but barely use. But it surely does the work. Daily meditations for even 5-10 mins. can increase oxygen levels, boost mental clarity, reduce anxiety, improve sleep quality and give you an inner peace which we all seek. Simply sit in silence, Breathe normally, and Mildly focus on the center of your forehead. Let the thoughts and emotions flow, but don’t let it affect you. It’s the way of finding Calm amidst the Chaos.
- Get Support – Sometimes if not always we need an expert guidance who can truly validate, support, and hand hold us through the emotional chaos and mental clutter. In a case of extreme distress even talking to family and friends doesn’t help, and that’s your cue to seek healing for whatever you are dealing with. At illuminations, our Holistic Healing services comprises varied methods and approaches to help you find the right and most effective help. Book a Free Consultation to know more about us!
Soniyaa Kiran Punjabi is the founder of Illuminations Well-being, Hypnotherapist, Holistic Wellness Coach, & Corporate Trainer. Illuminations, with 3 centers in the UAE and a formidable online presence, has touched the lives of more than 35000 people by helping them tap into their highest potential and become the best version of themselves. To know about our latest services, you can check our Events calendar, or connect with us on Instagram, Facebook, YouTube, or Meetup.