5 ways to bring mindfulness into your daily lives
In an era of constant change and rapid development, mindfulness is like the antidote to life’s everyday struggles. Needless to say, our mind consumes a lot more, our body reacts a lot more, and our spirit feels burdened a lot more than ever before.
So, What Is Mindfulness?
Mindfulness is bringing your awareness to the present moment. It involves tuning in and accepting your thoughts, bodily sensations, emotions, and surrounding environment in a nurturing and conscious manner, one that is free of judgment, and filled with self-love. It’s a practice propagated in Buddhism and has successfully spread its wings to parts of the world.
The rising numbers of depressed young adults and retired persons, evidently call for a new way of living, one that is more self-cultivating and promising. Studies show that one in four people are facing some kind of mental health problem. More so, at least 31% of adults will suffer some form of anxiety at some point of time in their lives.
Now, the idea is to not worry you, but show the importance and growing need for a lifestyle that compels us to live more mindfully, consciously, and of course happily.
Here are 5 Ways to bring mindfulness into your daily life:
1. Eating with Attention – Notice the first bite of food you eat and give it your full attention. You must savor every bite, feel its texture, the flavors, and focus on your senses to make it a fulfilling and experiential process. Mindful eating is also intuitive eating, and one must chew the food well to aid better digestion.
2. Observing Your Thoughts – Our chaotic hustling minds need regular maintenance too. Make a practice to read, write, and talk about your thoughts. Simple mindful practices like accepting your feelings for ‘what it is’, journaling as a medium of self-introspection, observing what triggers you when something happens or when someone says something, could also help you get more mindful of your thoughts.
3. Focusing On Breathwork – If someone asked you the no. of breaths you took in a day, would you be able to answer? Mindfulness doesn’t necessarily help you keep a count, rather enables you to bring focus onto your breath – the basis of your life, to nurture it, and make sense of it. For starters, psychologists recommend taking slow deep breaths every few hours to calm the mind. Doing 5-10 min. breathwork during the day can greatly improve your metabolism and overall well-being.
4. Meditation Is Key – Research states Mindfulness-based stress reduction therapy is an effective meditation therapy to cope with anxiety, stress, and depression. A daily mindfulness meditation routine can significantly improve your overall health, and bring that much-needed inner peace into your life. However, getting the right guidance is crucial and recommended to get a basic understanding of meditation, the different ways, and the processes involved.
5. Take Short Breaks & Avoid Multitasking – Doing everything at once might sound ‘impressive’ but we all realize it can take a massive toll on our mental health. Thus, taking short work breaks to recharge your mood can be very de-stressing. Similarly, focusing on one task at a time will not only declutter your mind but also increase your efficiency.
Have you started to live more mindfully? If Yes, then we’d love to hear how it has helped you. Let us know in the comments. #LiveLight ✨
Soniyaa Kiran Punjabi is the founder of Illuminations Well-being, Hypnotherapist, Holistic Wellness Coach, & Corporate Trainer. Illuminations, with 3 centers in the UAE and a formidable online presence, has touched the lives of more than 35000 people by helping them tap into their highest potential and become the best version of themselves. To know about our latest services, you can check our Events calendar, or connect with us on Instagram, Facebook, YouTube, or Meetup.