10 Tips On How To Overcome Negative Thoughts and Think The Right Way
When you introspect a situation or a person, what’s the first thought that comes to your mind? Is it judgemental, envious, negative or understanding, empathetic, and positive? Our daily thought patterns shape our mindset, which in turn shapes our reality.
Mental attitudes such as optimism and pessimism have proven to affect one’s well-being in a significant way. Studies have shown an inverse correlation between optimism and depressive symptoms. More so, researchers state one of the main reasons for any physical, mental, and emotional illness is caused by negative thoughts over a prolonged period.
Thinking the right way can be the first step in your wellness journey. The way you view the world around you can have a direct relation to the way your inner world functions.
Here are 10 Tips to overcome negative thoughts effectively –
1. Don’t Fight it: Before you go all ‘denial mode’, it’s vital to address your thoughts. Simply, take them as ‘thoughts’ that are messing with your head and causing you undue stress. Once you stop fighting it and start accepting the way you think, you have won half the battle.
2. Ask Tough Questions- Asking yourself some deep questions works as a good self-assessment and self-introspection tool. Questions like, ‘Why did I think like this?’, ‘What am I losing/gaining by thinking negatively?, ‘What will I do now?’ etc., can help you reflect and make better decisions in the future.
3. Time it- Putting your negative thoughts on a timer can gradually stop you from being pessimistic. You can allot 10 mins in the day to think of a recurring negative thought known as ‘Negative Thought Time – NTT’ where you ruminate and review your thoughts attentively for that set time every day and then no more. Slowly, but surely you’ll gain more control over your thoughts and stop them from negative thinking.
4. Affirmations- Create a handy list of affirmations, and one-liner quotes that give you instant inspiration. So, the next time you experience negative thinking patterns, read these lines to overcome negative thoughts.
5. Pen it down- Putting your thoughts to paper will train your mind to release, realize, and understand yourself a whole lot more. Whenever you feel stuck, find yourself in recurring thought patterns, or can’t tame your anger, just write everything down as it is. Once done, read through it, and if it doesn’t serve you then simply discard it. You can do this during the NTT time mentioned above.
6. Be in good company- Surrounding yourself with the right people, who think, act, and behave maturely can be a stepping stone in overcoming negative thoughts. The right people will always push you to become the best version of yourself whilst staying brutally honest when something isn’t right.
7. Find things you love- Do things that make you appreciate the littlest things in life. Consciously make an effort to think better. Eg. ‘I like the way coffee lifts my mood.’, ‘I like the way my bed comforts me every night.’ and such, this will shift your mindset and make you more mindful.
8. Create a routine- Curating your success routine can program your mind to focus on solutions rather than setbacks. Meditate a few minutes in the day, set some measurable goals, and ask yourself ‘What kind of life do I want to live?’, ‘What kind of a person I want to become.’
9. Silver Lining Effect- Always see the ‘Silver lining’ in the most difficult moments of your life. Often, we try to make a mountain of a mole, or maybe our mind gets deeply attached to negative thoughts. But, that never helps and so you must redirect your focus on an optimistic outcome that happened from a bad situation. Remember, the universe is always working in your favor.
10. Gratitude Attitude- Count your blessings more than anything. Offer thanks to everyone who has made your everyday life easier. Gratitude brings in more positivity and leaves no room for negativity.
Soniyaa Kiran Punjabi is the founder of Illuminations Well-being, Hypnotherapist, Holistic Wellness Coach, & Corporate Trainer. Illuminations, with 3 centers in the UAE and a formidable online presence, has touched the lives of more than 35000 people by helping them tap into their highest potential and become the best version of themselves. To know about our latest services, you can check our Events calendar, or connect with us on Instagram, Facebook, YouTube, or Meetup.